Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sectionals



I'm still gushing over the Glee mid-season finale, and the season overall until now (for ease, this will hereafter be called "season", even though I know it's not a full season). Glee is on hiatus until the spring, when the back nine episodes will air. They were renewed for season two, which will start in fall 2010.

The first part of this season was a lot lighter than the end, but I really enjoyed the heightened drama. Of course I couldn't wait for Terry Schuester's pregnancy to be exposed as fraudulent. I fully expected Will Schuester to flip, but I was pleasantly surprised by the intensity of his reaction -- he was physically violent. This was very out of character for him, but because the reaction was appropriate, and Matthew Morrison played it so well, I found it powerful and believable.

The writers have done such a good job building up Emma and Will's attraction, I knew they weren't going to let her go and marry Ken, but I didn't quite anticipate him dumping her (good for him, btw). I have been gunning for Will and Emma this whole series, so although it made me sad that she didn't let him sweep her off her feet at her would-be wedding, it was totally the right thing to do. Anything else would've been too cheesy and inappropriate. I LOVED Will & Emma's kiss at the end, especially as it was set to the performance of "My Life Would Suck Without You." I wished their kiss weren't so chaste, but I guess Fox didn't want Sectionals to become "Sexionals."Realistically, mysophobic Emma wasn't going to let Will put his tongue in her mouth first thing anyway.

I feel bad for Finn that Puck, his best friend, knocked his girlfriend up, but I'm glad Rachel exposed Quinn's lie. I eagerly hope that Finn & Rachel will get together later this season. I'm not getting the sense that Quinn's going to change her mind about letting Puck co-parent this baby with her, and I don't really blame her.

I'm enough of a dork that the fact that Glee has had three overlaps with my other favorite show, True Blood, truly excites me. Patrick Gallagher, Coach Ken Tanaka, was Chow on four episodes of TB. Kevin McHale, who plays Artie on Glee, was the assistant helping the coroner at the scene of Sookie's grandmother's murder on TB Season one. Later, in another episode, he was at Fangtasia and Sookie overheard his mind worrying that she would recognize him from the crime scene. Finally, Anna Camp, who played the pretty sectionals judge, Candace Dykstra, on Glee was Sarah Newlin on True Blood season two.

With Glee and TB off the air for the moment, what am I to do for mindless entertainment? First, I'm still enjoying Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books that TB is based from. Luckily the Glee DVD for this season is out Dec. 29, and I'm re-watching TB Season 1. No news as to when TB Season 2 is coming out on DVD, but I look forward to it. TB Season 3 isn't planned until June 2010, but I'm thrilled HBO picked it up for a third season.

Update: I'm super-excited that Glee and TB got well-deserved Golden Globe nominations! I look forward to reading about them winning.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem with the episode is that it felt so rushed. While I realize that they didn't know when it was filmed if this would be the final episode or if the back 9 would be ordered (making a full 22 episode season), I still feel like it could have been to hours long.

I LOVED the final number. I keep going back and watching it. THe music is addictive and I loved all the references back to previous numbers. THe part that I actually didn't like is the Emma/Will scenes. While it made sense for the story that they were telling, I wanted to scream "Go back to the kids!"

As for Emma and Will, I think the kiss could be a mistake. I'm going to reserve my judgement on that until I see where they go from there. I did like Emma's comment to Will at the non-wedding, "You *just* left your wife". She got major points in my eyes for realizing that this just wasn't the right time for them.

I'm still deciding on the DVD. I might wait to see if they will release all 22 episodes in one set.